Saturday, October 20, 2012

Thanks.

1 Chronicles 16:34

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.


I got out of work an hour late tonight. It's been a long day. I have a test coming up in my hardest class. I'm not prepared. Work. School. Homework. Work. Homework. School. That is my life these days. Teachers, coworkers, classmates are asking me if I'm okay because I'm so tired...all the time. My family reluctantly listens to me complain almost everyday. And in those moments, I'm not feeling all that grateful.

But you know what?

God has blessed me with a job, which is more than a lot of people can say. He has blessed me with a somewhat steady income, with which I can sponsor a beautiful child in Burkina Faso. Although class is rough, I'm getting an education. An education! A 14-year-old Pakistani girl was recently shot in the head for promoting that very idea! I live in a country where I have the opportunity to be somebody. I have a family. I am blessed. There's no denying it. I. Am. Blessed.

In 1 Chronicles 16:34, we are told to give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, and His love endures forever. This God of ours doesn't just love us for the time being; His love endures forever. He is always good, and He proves it to us every single day. Even something as simple as letting us watch the sun rise in the morning or set in the evening demonstrates how good He is to us. He provides us with air in our lungs and and a beating heart in our chest. We all have so much to be thankful for!

Unfortunately, we often take these little gifts for granted. It is human nature to focus on our problems rather than on everything that is going well for us. I know I can't be the only one. Maybe the "be thankful" speech is overused and a bit cliche, but there's a reason for that. We often only want to thank the Lord when life is going our way. When we experience struggles, however, the "be thankful" message goes in one ear and out the other. It's hard to remember all the good that He does for us when we're stretched more than we'd like.

Nonetheless, even when we are drained emotionally, mentally, and physically, God is there for us. Matthew 11:28 states, "Then Jesus said, 'come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.'" Even when we are exhausted and struggling and barely hanging on, Jesus is providing for us. If nothing else, this right here is an amazing reason to be thankful.

Therefore, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good. Really, He is. Even when we are feeling weak and broken, God is there for us, loving us. We have so many reasons to thank Him, so show Him your appreciation. He more than deserves it.

<3

1 comment: