Monday, October 15, 2012

The World


Romans 5:8

New International Version (NIV)
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.



The other day, my little sister and I were listening to a popular song that we both enjoy. The song is called "I Won't Give Up" by Jason Mraz. Anyway, my little sister and I are singing along to this song in this kitchen, and she asked me if I watched the music video yet. I informed her that I hadn't, and she told me I should. Then, she said something like, "I don't mind if other people interpret it differently, but Bree, I don't think he's just singing about a girl. He's singing about the world."




Naturally, I watched the video (above) and looked up the lyrics, and I'd have to say that I agree with her. The three choruses of this song are listed below:

"'Cause even the stars they burn
Some even fall to the earth
We've got a lot to learn
God knows we're worth it
No: I won't give up"

"I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up, still looking up."

"I won't give up on us (no I'm not giving up)
God knows I'm tough enough (I am tough, I am loved)
We've got a lot to learn (we're alive, we are loved)
God knows we're worth it (and we're worth it)"


Take a minute to really digest those words. Let them sink in for a minute.

Maybe this song is just talking about a guy who really doesn't want to give up on his girl, but for the sake of this vesper, let's just pretend that my little sister is right here. Even the stars -- they burn. Some even fall to the earth. We've got a lot to learn, but God knows we're worth it. Even the best of us mess up. Some of us completely fall apart. We are not perfect by any stretch; none of us are. But God knows we're worth it.

In Romans 5:8, we are told that, before any person in the world was free from sin, God loved us. Before anyone was truly forgiven for all of the mistakes they made, God was on our team, rooting for us. He sacrificed His only child -- let His son die -- because God thought we're worth it. He knows we're worth it. We mess up every day, we have failed him over and over again, but He still has faith in us. C.S. Lewis once said, "He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less." He cares about every single person in this world, and wants to have a relationship with all of us.

When God tells us to love one another, this is the love He means. He wants us to believe in each other. Pray for our enemies. Sacrifice our own wants for our neighbor's needs. When we understand that God believes in us, we can start believing in ourselves. We can believe in each other. Anyone can read a newspaper and know that the world is a rough place. Sometimes, it's easier to become cold and apathetic than to feel the pain of empathy. However, if we continuously try to pour out our love into all who cross our paths, including complete strangers, we can make an impact on this little world of ours. Maybe not a huge impact, or one that we will see right away, but an impact nonetheless.

Although Christians are not meant to give into the desires off this world, they are not to hate the people who do.  Christians are not meant to feel like they belong to this world; their treasure lies in a different place. Let there be no misunderstanding, though; just because we are called to avoid the sin of this world does not mean we are to give up on the people in it. Striving for a holier life does not equate to turning your back on humanity. People are worth our love and attention. Even sinners. How do we know? Because while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

He did not give up on us. We will give up on them.

Therefore, love one another. Have faith in each other. Pray for those in your life. Show kindness to a stranger and forgiveness to an enemy. God knows we're worth it. This world has a lot to learn, but if we continue to look up and give it all of our love, we can make it a better place.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment